Science Academic Mentor | Kingston-Upon-Thames
Are you a high-achieving Science Graduate considering a career as a Science Teacher?! Are you excited by the prospect of passing on your love of Science to the next generation?!
Are you hoping to use the next academic year to build invaluable classroom experience so you can confidently apply for a PGCE in the future?
If so, this Science Academic Mentor role will prepare you perfectly!
- 11-18, Mixed Comprehensive School in Kingston-Upon-Thames
- £70 per day | £350 per week | Paid weekly on a PAYE basis
- Initial one-year placement | September 2021-July 2022
- Opportunities to progress on to Salaried Teacher Training Programme from September 2022
- Full induction and Training Programme provided throughout Placement
- Very supportive Science department and extended Leadership Team
What does a Science Academic Mentor do?
- Teach Science to students in small groups and 1:1, making sure each session maintains pace, motivation & challenge.
- Create your own lesson plans and deliver these as intervention sessions to students requiring additional support in Science.
- Make your sessions engaging and relevant, utilising real world examples wherever possible.
- Liaise with Pastoral Welfare Leaders (PWLs), SENDCo & Class teachers of pupils needing additional support to discuss how best they can be supported and any topic areas to target specifically.
- Plan termly schedules of work for sessions across different year groups and abilities.
- Gather appropriate resources and adapting lessons to suit the different varying ability levels and prior understanding.
- Set & mark initial tests and assessments, in order to monitor & evaluate progress.
- Ensure a good working relationship with the students, so they feel comfortable to speak up when they are not sure of the answer.
- Model consistently high standards of learning & ensure each student has a positive attitude towards not only their personal education but the school as a whole.
- Engage in additional training/Continual Professional Development (CPD) activities provided by the school.
If this Science Graduate Academic Mentor vacancy will give you exactly the experience you are looking for prior to applying for a PGCE, contact Ribbons & Reeves today who will arrange interviews for successful Science Graduate applicants within 3 working days.
Science Academic Mentor – Kingston-Upon-Thames | Science Graduate